World Sleep Day: "regular sleep, healthy future"
World Sleep Day has been designated for the Friday before the equinox in March. The intention is to preponderate the problems associated with sleep variations that can trigger chronic diseases, cognitive system malfunctions, and significant behavioral disorders.
Likewise, sleep is closely related to the development of a series of physiological processes, such as cardiovascular regulation, hormonal control, memory balance, and so on. This allows us to broaden the spectrum of analysis on the essential of the quality of the rest period.
It is time to expand the frontiers of knowledge about this simple act and, at the same time, complex for some. We will delve into the history of World Sleep Day, the main alterations that exist, the tips for a favorite sleep hygiene and the best way to participate in the annual commemoration.
History of World Sleep Day
World Sleep Day arose in 2008 by decision of the World Association of Sleep Medicine. Consequently, the World Sleep Day Commission of that organization took the initiative by considering that sleep disturbances were a global epidemic that threatened health.
Its purpose is to support those affected by severe sleep disturbances that can lead to major and fatal health complications. It should be noted that it is a non-profit organization.
For their part, the doctors Liborio Parrino and Antonio Culebras, as pioneers of the movement from the aforementioned commission, were in charge of making visible the importance of bringing timely information, uniting those affected to help them and investing in research to understand how to attack the difficulties of the dream.
Topics from previous years
Each year a theme is defined that focuses activities on improving specific sleep difficulties. Following this line, we present the themes used in previous years.
- "Sleep well, live wide awake".
- "Driving Alert, Arrive Safe".
- "Sleep well, stay healthy".
- "Sleep well, grow up healthy".
- "Breathe easily, sleep well".
- "Good sleep, healthy aging".
- "Restful sleep, calm breathing, healthy body".
- "When sleep is healthy, health and happiness abound".
- "Sleeping well is an achievable dream".
- "Sleep soundly, nourish life".
- "Join the dream world, keep your rhythms to enjoy life".
- "Healthy sleep, healthy aging".
- "Better sleep, better life, better planet".
«Regular sleep, healthy future»
For the year 2021 the choice was “Regular sleep, healthy future", Which translates to" Regular sleep, healthy future. " Thus, it is sought to associate longevity with an efficient and sufficient rest.
The message is addressed to a greater degree to professionals who have responsibility for the adequate sleep of people. This with the object that they assume the role of informing, educating and assisting at the global level.
More than 150 events around the world, spanning nearly 70 countries, have been defined to raise awareness of World Sleep Day. The core of every activity in 2021 is that the establishment of structured hours of sleep improves its quality for all ages.
The events consist of lectures to address progress, information to be replicated, and goals for the following season. At the same time, those who suffer from sleep disorders can participate from anywhere, and later we indicate how to do it.
Also read: Recommended sleep hours according to age
What are the main sleep disturbances?
Sleep disorders can be classified into 4 types that have their ramifications. Therefore, the groups of disturbances to reconcile rest are the following:
- Alteration to preserve sleep. The disorder goes beyond falling asleep, since, when achieving it, it becomes impossible to maintain it. This includes insomnia.
- Atypical disorders during sleep. It is characterized by the impossibility of full rest as a result of nightmares, extreme fears and sleepwalking.
- Morning sleep disturbance. Narcolepsy (exaggerated sleep during the day) and obstructive sleep apnea (atypical beginnings and pauses of breathing in the middle of sleep).
- Circadian sleep rhythm deficiencies. It consists of imbalances of the hours of sleep in relation to the sleep-wake requirements to have a normal rhythm of life.
Tips for good sleep hygiene
Sleep hygiene consists of healthy habits that facilitate the achievement of timely rest. In this sense, Tips for exchanging disorders for relief are as follows:
- Do exercise: Not exercising enough throughout the day can lead to trouble sleeping. A short routine of 30 minutes will be enough to improve this aspect.
- Control the coffee: Drinking coffee is favorable for activation, but its excessive use can generate a state of incompatibility with sleep. The recommendation is not to opt for coffee within 5 hours to go to bed.
- Apply relaxation techniques: breathing exercises and meditation are helpful for general relaxation.
- Structure the sleep routine: Establishing a fixed time for both sleeping and waking up helps the body sync up and support circadian rhythms.
- Keep blue lights away: This refers to the need to turn off the electronic equipment that is around and that emits blue lights that are detrimental to the quality of sleep.
It may interest you: How to recover hours of sleep?
How can I participate in the celebration?
Participation and support in the celebration of World Sleep Day is possible with simple gestures such as downloading a application that works to fall asleep, buy a new mattress, contact a specialist in sleep disorders and follow the hygiene advice. In addition to this, these actions are valid:
- Use the # tagWorldSleepDay in the networks to proliferate information.
- Bring helpful brochures and books to people around you who have sleep difficulties.
- Plan an act or event that highlights the importance of World Sleep Day.
- Volunteer at local events to understand how to cope with disorders.
Final recommendations on World Sleep Day
If sleep disturbances creep in, the recommendation is to take action in the shortest time possible, as the consequences can be extended and complicated. The first great action is to change harmful daily routines to evaluate the regularization or not of rest.
If it is the case that the advice for sleep hygiene does not improve the situation, you should not hesitate to go to a specialist to direct the treatment that best suits the condition. Dream and keep healthy harmony!
Cardiovascular problems are the leading cause of death worldwide. Here we talk about its relationship with irregular sleep. Read more "