Why do pimples come out on the head?
The pimples on the head are, in general, a manifestation of acne. Although it is more common to appear in other areas of the body, such as the face or back, it is not cause for alarm to arise in other areas of the skin. The scalp is no exception.
Even though, from the aesthetic point of view, acne on the face causes more affectation, From a medical perspective, pimples on the head can be more problematic. This is because they usually come out as a pustule that is very annoying and sometimes leads to hair loss.
Occasionally, pimples on the head produce pain, stinging or itching. In those cases, it is best to go to the dermatologist to assess the problem in more detail. However, in general, this type of acne can be managed and treated with home remedies.
Causes of pimples on the head
The pimples on the head usually have the same causes as any other type of acne. In most cases, they obey four main factors:
- Hormonal changes. These can be caused by the changes that occur during puberty, pregnancy, menstruation or any medical condition that gives rise to them.
- Inheritance and genetics. It is very usual that this type of grains appear when they are present in other people of the family.
- Problems of adaptation to climate. It is also very common that climate changes, especially when they are extreme, lead to the appearance of pimples on the head.
- Allergic reactions. These are produced by the consumption of certain drugs or foods, or in response to some types of chemicals.
Another common cause is poor hygiene practices, as a deficiency or excess of hair washing. It may also be due to the use of inappropriate accessories in the head. Likewise, weakness or immune-type diseases sometimes manifest through these rashes.
Types of grains in the head
Not all the pimples on the head are the same and, therefore, should not be treated in the same way. These are the main types:
- Red beads. It is one of the types of pimples on the head that requires medical consultation. Usually, they tell us about an allergic response to the use of certain shampoos or chemicals on the scalp.
- Grains with pus. They are a sign that there is infection due to the presence of parasites, fungi or viruses on the scalp. Normally, they produce itching and they originate because the hair follicles are blocked due to the presence of an excess of sebum.
- Sebaceous grains. They correspond to the grains that have presence of fat. They have the appearance of a yellowish lump and sometimes produce pain. If not treated properly, it is possible that they lead to an infection. They are originated, almost always, by bad hygiene.
- Dry beans. To the touch, they are similar to a scab. They are produced by seborrheic dermatitis and are treated using extra hydration.
- Water grains. They are the result of diseases such as dermatitis or chicken pox. They can also be the manifestation of an allergic reaction.
Other data of interest
Many times, the pimples on the head are born because there is a problem of dandruff that produces itching. The constant scratching causes the grains to form. On other occasions, ringworm is present, a very aggressive infectious fungus It causes spots and eventually leads to hair loss.
Sometimes the pimples on the head have a yellowish oozing and unpleasant odor. These usually appear in people who are allergic to gluten. On other occasions, the grains bleed as a result of too vigorous scratching, but it is not usually cause for alarm.
Even though, in principle, the pimples on the head are not a serious problem, it is a condition that can be complicated. The best thing is to try to solve it as soon as possible. If the appearance or discomfort caused is striking, do not hesitate to consult the doctor.