Surely at some point you have heard of low carbohydrate diets, high protein or protein diets and even the state of ketosis as means to lose weight. And you may not know very well what these terms refer to.
In the state of ketosis the body is able to oxidize fats easily, including the individual's own reserves. That is why there are many slimming diets that induce this state with the aim of reducing body fat or improving health. You want to know more about this topic. Keep reading that in this article we tell you.
What is ketosis?
Ketosis is a metabolic state by which we force our body to use fat as the main source of energy, both those that we have stored in our body, as well as those that we ingest. When the body gets the energy of the fatty acids from our body, our liver generates what are known as ketone bodies.
To Lograr entering this state must be performed a very low carb diet during several days. The rule says not to exceed the range of 15 to 30g of carbohydrates to enter ketosis.
Depending on the glycogen that we have stored in our body, the restriction of carbohydrates that we perform and the exercise that we add, it will take more or less days to enter this state. There is no specific or generic range of days.
Read also: What kind of diets should we avoid? Discover it here
Benefits of entering the state of ketosis
The state of ketosis is considered cardioprotective because it raises the levels of good cholesterol and decreases the concentration of triglycerides. In addition it favors the activity of the metabolism.
According to different studies, follow a ketogenic diet and Going into a state of ketosis can have other effects on health, which do not necessarily have to do with weight loss.
- Ketogenic diets increase HDL cholesterol levels and generate significant reductions in blood triglyceride concentrations, which is why they are considered cardioprotective. They also improve the metabolism of glucose, decreasing blood levels of both this and insulin, as well as blood pressure.
- Ketogenic diets are considered effective in the treatment of diabetes mellitus type II, to prevent or
delay the loss of total body lean mass and sarcopenia that are associated with aging, this is because favor a positive protein balance, due to its high protein content.
- The metabolic foundation of ketogenic diets is the change from glycolytic to lipolytic that occurs in the absence of carbohydrates. As a result of this, lipids turn out to be the main energy source. This to
In turn, it avoids insulin resistance, favoring the synthesis of glycogen, improves the glycemic profile and plasma levels of hemoglobin A.
- The ketonic bodies resulting from the activation of lipolytic metabolism caused by ketogenic diets, reduce cell death. So that it is considered that this type of diet increases the power antioxidant of the organism.
Possible side effects and risks
Although the state of ketosis brings some health benefits. It is not without side effects. Therefore, it is important to have an expert watch.
- Dizziness and headaches: this effect happens after the third day, it is the worst, the body has no energy and even if one rises quickly it can get dizzy. The brain needs glycogen (or ketone bodies) to function from this effect.
- Bad breath: when our body has excess body ketones these are released through the breath, hence it is recommended to drink plenty of water. There are even people who have a metallic taste in their mouth.
- Urine with a very strong odor: Ketone bodies are also eliminated in the urine so the smell of it becomes stronger.
- Strong sweat: Ketone bodies are also eliminated by sweating, so it is normal for their odor to become unpleasant.
- Lack of appetite: proteins and fats are very satisfying, besides they cost much more to be digested than carbohydrates, hence the appetite goes down considerably.
- Sickness, can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, respiratory distress and general decline.
- Possible arrhythmias: it is possible that they produce problems of the cardiac electrical conduction system and arrhythmias.
- Muscle loss: if you spend a lot of time in ketosis, fat is first pulled but when it goes down, the muscle starts to degrade to use its amino acids as fuel.
Before you go, read: Ketogenic foods to lose weight
As it has been observed, care must be taken when following this type of diet. Therefore, we advise you to follow them, go with a nutritionist to examine your condition and recommend or not follow this process.