Invisible orthodontics is the orthodontic treatment that uses devices that are not usually seen with the naked eye. It is an innovative form of this procedure, which is quite attractive because it is more aesthetic than the hoops and brackets They usually cover a large part of the tooth. What does it consist of? What are its advantages? Find out!
What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that is responsible for the study, prevention and treatment of anomalies in size, position and shape of maxillofacial structures.
The purpose of this specialty is to correct these alterations to achieve an optimal state of oral health, a harmony in the smile and the correct alignment of the teeth.
Normally in orthodontics different types of devices are used to correct the teeth. The most commonly used are the brackets The latter are structures, metallic or ceramic, that are cemented to the teeth in a correct position.
On them different types of arches of different thicknesses are placed. These arches allow us to move our teeth by generating frictional forces with the brackets
Thanks to scientific advances, orthodontics has advanced a lot and these movements have been achieved through invisible splints They are embedded in the teeth. Being practically invaluable.
Orthodontics is a treatment that helps correct alterations of maxillofacial structures.
What is invisible orthodontics?
It is an orthodontic treatment that It is done by using invisible splints called aligners. To plan this type of treatments we need some virtual 3D models and a virtual simulation of how the teeth will move with the treatment step.
The aligners are made of thermoformable plastic approximately 0.5 mm thick, so they can hardly be seen with the naked eye. To help the movement of the teeth, apart from the placement of the aligners, also sticks of transparent material called attachments to the teeth.
Attacks help splints perform the movements for which they are planned. They need to be replaced by the following aligners in 10 or 15 days. Further, the treatment is between 4 months to 2 years, depending on the degree of correction that each patient needs.
It is important to know that With this type of orthodontics, not all problems can be solved. It is indicated for small movements, gyros, etc. For large treatments the most indicated treatment is orthodontics with brackets
You may be interested: 5 habits that help you take care of your dental health
Advantages of invisible orthodontics
- It is a very aesthetic treatment.
- Avoid friction, wounds and sores that can cause brackets and the arches of conventional orthodontic technique. Because, It is a more comfortable treatment for the patient.
- It allows better hygiene. The splints are removed and brushing is equal to that performed on parts without orthodontics. While with brackets brushing is more difficult, produces an accumulation of plaque near the gum causing gingivitis and often an inflammation of the gums.
- The splints are made on a mold of the patient's mouth, so The treatment is fully personalized.
- By allowing better hygiene, you run less risk of tooth decay, gingivitis, white spots and so on.
- For small movements a result equal to that of conventional orthodontics is achieved, even in some cases it can be achieved in less time than treatment with brackets
Invisible orthodontics attracts attention because it is more aesthetic than treatment with brackets
Disadvantages of invisible orthodontics
- Splints must be worn for at least 20 hours a day to achieve the desired effect, withdrawing only for eating and for brushing.
- If the splints are not placed by tripping, The treatment is prolonged and the situation may even get worse.
- Bruxist patients wear splints much more and need to be changed more frequently.
- Aligner treatment involves a higher cost than treatment with brackets
Discover: What is a dental abscess and how should it be treated?
This treatment can be performed in both children and adults. You should always keep in mind that orthodontics is a secondary treatment to other oral pathologies, that is, you must first perform treatments such as fillings, cleaning, root canals and other oral health problems.
Invisible orthodontics with dental aligners It is the most innovative treatment within this branch of dentistry. It allows us to achieve our goals and can guarantee the patient maximum aesthetics and comfort.
Thanks to the prediction of treatment by 3D software we can be much more exact in the treatment, controlling in more detail the evolution of the patient.