Suspension training or TRX: benefits and exercises to practice
Suspension training or TRX is a exercise mode in which the weight of the body is used together with anchor points for holding the limbs. This causes that, with balance, strength and variation of movements, it is possible to work the entire musculature.
We can find the birth of the TRX in the special operations teams destined for land, sea and air in the United States. Also called Navy SEAL They were looking for alternatives to do their workouts without the need for large teams that were unfeasible in the rhythm of work, thus arising the suspension solution.
The internalization of the team with which you work is essential to have security and correctly adapt the movements carried out. The tools for suspension training or TRX They are high resistance tapes that have anchors, so that its placement and stability can be achieved in a large number of spaces.
In addition, the straps, which are mostly made of nylon, have an attachment point with a safety system to balance the straps and that there is no risk of uneven sliding in the routine. On the other hand, they provide the option of regulators, so that the desired length for each session is modified.
What can I train with the TRX?
Suspension training or TRX gives possibilities to train all muscle groups, because routines have no limitations and are enhanced by people's own weight. The main characteristic that is sought with sessions of this type is the gain in strength.
Although it can be used for a comprehensive exercise, it is not recommended as the greatest ally if what you are looking for is muscle hypertrophy. However, in terms of toning, its assessment is superlative.
Benefits for the body
The benefits to the body of suspension training or TRX are extensive, ranging from physical aspects to cognitive conditions. Among the prominent advantages of this kind of physical conditioning we can find the following:
- Treatment for injuries: As it is an exercise in which the intensity can be regulated simply, it is usually used for rehabilitation and recovery.
- Improve posture: It has a series of differentiated workouts that improve posture and reduce slouching that worsens with age.
- Weightloss: Workouts can increase in intensity and, being generalized, require a higher calorie consumption, which translates into a reduction in body fat.
- Suitable for the elderly: Older people can also train with the TRX at a safe level that poses no risk of injury.
- Adaptable to other workouts: It serves as a complement to other routines, giving extra toning in well-defined areas.
- Increase coordination: coordination and balance are requirements for practicing TRX, conditions that are enhanced with frequent training with treadmills.
- Mental health: serves to release stress and the accumulation of different emotional tensions.
- Increase flexibility: suspension exercise is influenced by stretching, which leads to flexibility being worked on in each session.
Read also: The 9 benefits of regular exercise
Some suspension training exercises or TRX
Our selection of TRX or suspension training exercises is based on touching all areas of the body. What's more, support simple variations to broaden job location.
In this sense, the movements proposed are lunge with one leg, squat to row high and running man.
1. One leg lunge
The one leg lunge is aimed at the lower body. On the other hand, it has an effect on improving balance. However, the ideal is to have an extra close support during the first practices.
Its realization is done as follows:
- Set the tapes lower than the knee height.
- Standing in front of the straps, bend your left knee and rest your foot in the grip area.
- Step forward with your right foot and bend your knee up to an angle of approximately 90 degrees. Hands should be cupped on hips.
- Maintain the tension of the movement for a few seconds.
- Apply between 8 and 12 repetitions with each leg.
2. Squat to row high
The deltoid, bicep, rhomboid, quadratus lumbar, erector spinae and latissimus dorsi muscles are worked to a greater extent. On the other hand, a lower incidence is also generated in the lower body.
The practice is applied with the following steps:
- Position the straps close to your chest.
- Being 8 inches behind the tapes, grasp the holding areas with both hands and drop backwards stretching your arms. The position will be squatting.
- Return to the starting position with the help of bending your arms and stretching your legs.
- Execute 2 sets of 12 reps, leaving an intermediate rest for muscle recovery.
3. Running man
The running man It is the most demanding exercise in relation to those proposed. Also, it works the deltoids, pectorals and hip flexors. It is done in the following way:
- Position the straps at a distance of approximately 60 centimeters from the ground.
- Standing in front of the tapes set both feet in the holding area and palms on the floor. Arms should be fully extended.
- Do alternating movements of the knees, bringing it forward while the other leg remains straight. Thus, he seeks to give the sequence fluidity and naturalness, in the best style of a race.
- Apply 2 or 3 series of 30 seconds. The duration can be increased when the exercise is fully mastered.
It may interest you: Discover the benefits of doing sustained exercises
Suspension training or TRX care and recommendations
In the care and recommendations to consider is the warm up before starting the routine. Suspension training sessions or TRX have variable intensities, so it is essential to give the necessary time to the adaptation of the muscles.
Balance and stability are also essential to avoid injury, since a loss of the core or tremors in the body can cause the accumulation of tensions, as well as unwanted sudden movements.
Finally, among the final tips is to keep a proper balance of abdominal and lumbar workouts, since a pelvic slip can be an uncomfortable problem with slow recovery.
Do you know the differences between toning and increasing muscle mass? Discover the function of muscles, how to increase volume and more. Read more "