Orgasm headache: what should I know?

Orgasmic headache or primary headache associated with sexual activity is a widespread problem. It is estimated to affect 80% of men. In fact, almost everyone is believed to have experienced it at some point in their life.

Available data indicate that 75% of cases correspond to orgasmic headache itself and the remaining 25% is pre-orgasmic, that is, it occurs earlier. The intensity and severity vary from person to person.

What Causes Orgasm Headache?

At first, orgasm headache is due to increased sexual arousal. This leads to the muscles of the neck and head to contract. Another possible cause is increased blood pressure.

On the other hand, a study from the University School of Medicine Wake Forest established that migraine sufferers tend to experience a more intense sexual desire than those who suffer from other types of headaches. According to that research, both migraine and sexual desire are caused by low levels of serotonin.

Another investigation from the Hospital Clínico Universitario de Valladolid indicates that orgasm headache could be related to the activity of the hypothalamus. Sex increases the hypothalamic activity and this would trigger the headache. However, the researchers clarify that more studies are still needed in this regard.

Patients with migraine would have a higher sexual desire compared to the rest of the population, which could be the kick to understand why this disorder.

Keep reading: How to correctly differentiate headaches?

How does this type of headache feel?

Most commonly, an orgasmic headache comes on suddenly, before or during the development or completion of sexual activity. It is sharp and many describe it as lightning to the head. This is one of the most severe forms of headache.

In other cases the discomfort begins as a dull ache in the head and neck. Little by little it increases, as sexual arousal increases.

The course is unpredictable. It can last from one minute to three hours and even several days. Sometimes it begins to decrease gradually until it disappears, while at other times it stops feeling as suddenly as it appeared.

This type of headache may occur once or multiple times over the course of a few months. It is estimated that 50% of those affected experience this type of episodes for 6 months. 40% have them for up to a year. It is most common in men between the ages of 25 and 35.

When should you visit the doctor?

Orgasmic headache is considered benign and, in principle, there is nothing to worry about. However, there are cases where there is another disease that has not been detected. It is recommended that, if the pain is too severe and sudden, consult your doctor.

The consultation is also recommended if other symptoms appear, such as the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Neck stiffness.
  • Decreased or loss of sensation.
  • Complete or partial paralysis.
  • Very severe pain lasting more than a day.
  • Loss of consciousness.
  • Seizures

The doctor will do an interview and a physical examination. You may find testing necessary, such as MRI, CT scan, angiogram, angiogram, or lumbar puncture. The purpose is to confirm or rule out serious problems such as aneurysms.

Some presentations of this headache are before orgasm or even before the beginning of sexual intercourse itself.

Read also: How to treat coital headache or headache during sex

An almost always benign disorder

The most common is that the orgasmic headache is not associated with any other pathology. Thus, To overcome it, it will be enough to take a commonly used analgesic. Sometimes the doctor sees fit to prescribe more specific medications. It should be noted that several of the medications used to treat migraine and other types of headaches can affect sexual function.

A good portion of people experience this kind of headache only once in their life. Another important group only have these episodes for a few months. There are also cases in which the headache is more continuous and arises from the emotional pressure originated in the prejudice of respond sexually.