Options to create your own punching bag at home
In this note we teach you how to build your own punching bag, since this sport has the classic advantages of doing physical exercise, such as reducing the risk of hypertension, type 2 diabetes or obesity, as well as achieving a good night's sleep and favorable changes in mood.
It should also be added that another of the advantages of exercise is to strengthen the immune system, capital to face infectious diseases, according to research.
A very practical way to exercise at home is through disciplines such as boxing or martial arts. Therefore, below we explain how to make a totally homemade punching bag. It is a great option if you have enough space and with the possibility of recycling unused objects.
What is a punching bag?
A punching bag is a bag shaped like a cylinder., filled with materials that can be of various kinds, which should be used to practice punches or kicks.
They are used in boxing and martial arts practices of a wide range, such as the Kung Fu, judo, karate and the taekwondo. However, in addition to practicing specific movements, training with these bags serves to relieve stress, burn fat and build muscle.
Punching bag at home with tires
An excellent alternative to building a punching bag at home is to use old car tires. In this way, we will do our economy a great favor. What's more, we will be helping to take care of the planet a little more.
To carry out this project we will need the following:
- 4 circular hooks.
- S-shaped hooks.
- 3 tires.
- Fireman's hook.
- Combination wrench.
Step by Step
- Tires: 4 holes in the shape of the + sign must be made with the drill in each tire. Then we take 2 of the 3 wheels, turn them over and make the same holes, so that they coincide with the 4 that are on the other side.
- Assembling the parts: the 3 tires are joined, using the screws, washers and nuts.
- Hang up the sack: the chains are hooked at one end to the washers already attached to the tires. At the other end the chains are attached to a fire brigade hook. In turn, the fireman's hook must be attached to the swivel. Finally, it only remains to place a support on a part of the roof that is resistant.
Another option at home to assemble a punching bag with resistant fabric
Of course, not everyone has at home or can access or get 3 old tires to build a punching bag. If it were that simple, the level of pollution on the planet would be much lower.
Nor is it a matter of removing the tires in use from our car. The solution? A sturdy fabric.
To build a punching bag without tires we need the following:
- Pair of scissors.
- Contact glue.
- Special needles (stronger and thicker than normal ones).
- Super resistant fabric (can be synthetic leather or canvas.
- 1 ruler.
You may also be interested in: 7 ways to increase your physical activity easily
Step by Step
- Cuts: cut the fabric in height and width, according to the desired measurements to assemble the cylinder. Then the two circles that will be assembled to the cylinder must be cut from the fabric; one for the base and one for the top.
- Forming the cylinder: the ends of the cut fabric are joined to form the cylinder, using contact glue.
- Sew: to give the cylinder sufficient strength, in addition to gluing it, it must be sewn. Not least data is that, before proceeding with the sewing, the awl can be used to pierce those places through which the needles will later pass.
- Assemble: One of the cut fabric circles must be glued to the cylinder to function as a base, using contact glue. And then, to reinforce the resistance, it must be sewn on.
- Ring placement: the rings that will be used to hang the bag are attached to the cylinder, near the end opposite to the base. As in the previous processes, the rings must be glued and sewn.
- Stuffed: fill the bag with the filling you want. The different fillers will make you harder or softer to hit and this will ultimately depend on the training you choose to apply.
- Fitting the lid: once the cylinder is well filled, the circular cloth cover is placed on it, using the same procedure that was used for the base.
- Hang up the sack– Can be done using chains attached to a ceiling mount or sturdy beam.
How can I refill my punching bag at home?
To build our own homemade punching bag and be able to practice the discipline we have chosen from the comfort of home, the above tips are not enough.
It will be necessary to be clear, from the beginning, with what we have to fill the bag. Different types of fillings will give you dissimilar characteristics. Although they can be varied, we will discuss the most outstanding ones below:
- Rags or old clothes: you must make sure that the clothes are put under pressure and with the desired consistency. It is recommended that the tissues to be inserted are previously cut into equal parts.
- Sawdust: to increase the consistency of your bag you can combine different types of sawdust, such as shavings and powders.
- Sand: it is recommended, for this type of filling, that it be very fine sand; otherwise it may contain stones.
You can also read: Benefits of physical activity during the diet
Considerations when using your punching bag
As we mentioned at the beginning, the benefits of physical exercise in relation to health, be it physical or psychological, are invaluable. However, before you start hitting your homemade punching bag or doing any type of physical training, it would be convenient for you to observe the following indications:
- Children and young people between 5 and 17 years old: It is recommended that they do 1 hour of physical exercise per day, with a moderate to strong intensity.
- Adults (18 years and older): It is recommended that they exercise a minimum of 1 hour and 15 minutes of strong aerobic activity or 2 and a half hours of moderate aerobic activity a week.
In this way, you can combat a sedentary lifestyle, prevent diseases such as obesity and hypertension, deal with psychological problems such as anxiety or stress, generate a deeper rest and achieve improvements in mood.
Vitamin B6 has a function that stands out when we do physical activity. Can you imagine how it acts when we are on the move? Read more "