Melon gazpacho recipe: easy and fast
Melon is a very light and refreshing summer fruit. But apart from eating it as a dessert or as a healthy snack, it also serves to cook some dishes, such as a refreshing melon gazpacho.
Let us know in this article the recipe and the secrets of its preparation. In addition, we will see the benefits of this fruit for health.
The melon gazpacho recipe
There are few dishes as simple to prepare as a gazpacho. One of the quintessential summer soups, ideal to refresh and take advantage of all the nutrients in vegetables.
It is typical of the southern area of Spain and Portugal and in its original version it is prepared with tomato, cucumber and pepper as the main ingredients. Although in each region and even in each house there is a unique and particular way of doing it.
In recent years, the boom This quick and easy to prepare recipe has led to other variants with avocado, cherries, watermelon and the same melon. The latter is the protagonist of the recipe that we present here.
Melon gazpacho is an ideal dish to make a light starter or to cool off in a nutritious way in the middle of summer Another way to take advantage of this healthy fruit that also gives it a special flavor.
Read more: How to prepare a good Andalusian gazpacho
Ingredients needed for 2 servings of melon gazpacho
- 1 clove garlic.
- 375 grams of melon pulp.
- 1 small green Italian pepper.
- 1/2 slice of sliced bread (optional).
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- 1/2 chives.
- A pinch of salt and another pinch of ground white pepper.
- 1 cucumber
The amounts of each ingredient can be adjusted to suit each individual's taste. Also the point of salt and pepper or innovate with the incorporation of some other spice or fresh herb.
Step by step in the kitchen
- First, peel the garlic and remove the germ from the inside so that its flavor is a little softer. If you don't like garlic very much, add half and add the rest later.
- Next, peel the chives and cut into quarters. Wash and cut the pepper and do the same with the peeled cucumber.
- Cut the melon into large chunks. Put all the ingredients in a blender glass or bowl. This is also the time to add the sliced bread if you want a slightly thicker texture. Season and blend.
- Add the olive oil and mix again to obtain a texture as homogeneous as possible. For this it is preferable to do it at maximum power for about 2 minutes.
- Test and adjust the combination of all the ingredients. In principle, it is not necessary to add water to the preparation, since the melon is a fruit that already provides enough quantity.
- Reserve in the fridge at least 2 hours to cool and serve fresh. If it is prepared from one day to the next, the flavors intensify.
When serving, the melon gazpacho can be decorated with crunchy slices of serrano ham, a few cubes of toast, grated hard-boiled egg or some finely chopped vegetables (cucumber, pepper or chives).
It is ideal to offer as a starter or as a soft and fresh first course. Thus, it is another original way to fill the menu with more fruits and vegetables.
The melon (Cucumis melo) is a plant of the Cucurbitaceae family. It is grown in almost all regions with hot and dry summers and there are a large number of varieties, such as cantaloup, the skin of the toad, the yellow melon or the galia.
Although they can vary in terms of taste and sweetness, in general they all have a similar nutritional composition, thanks to which some health benefits can be highlighted.
The melon is composed of 90% of its weight by water, which places it as one of the fruits with the most quantity. Vitamin C and folates also stand out, some minerals such as potassium and magnesium, as well as carbohydrates in the form of sugars, typical of the fruit.
Contributes to body hydration
Due to the amount of water it provides and also to the presence of numerous electrolytes. For this, is of special interest in summer or after intense exercise, when losses tend to be higher.
Regulates blood pressure
Diets with plenty of fruits and vegetables are good for keeping blood pressure levels stable. As noted in a study published in the British Journal of NutritionThis could be due not only to a reduction in sodium intake, but also to the increased presence of other minerals, such as calcium and potassium.
The data is interesting, because high blood pressure is a condition that affects a large number of people in the world. And today it is recognized as one of the main risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
Antioxidant and sight protector
The orange and yellow colors of some varieties of melon, such as the cantaloup, indicate the presence of beta carotenes. These are found in higher amounts than other fruits, such as apricots, peaches, oranges or mangoes.
Carotenes are pigments that not only give food color, but also have benefits. Once ingested they become vitamin A, that the body needs to perform several functions:
- Antioxidant against free radicals that can damage cells.
- Correct functioning of the immune system.
- Protection and improvement of sight. Property reinforced by the presence of lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants recognized for their ability to prevent age-related macular degeneration.
Maintenance of bone structure
In addition to calcium and vitamin D, other nutrients are necessary for optimal bone health. Loss of bone mass is related to problems such as osteoporosis and a higher prevalence of fractures and falls.
Some studies indicate the importance of B vitamins such as folates present in melon. Low levels of these and B12, along with elevated homocysteine, have been linked to low bone density and increased risk of fractures in older people.
Discover: Myths and truths about melon
Prepare melon gazpacho to enjoy a delicious and healthy dish
Fruits, in general, They are healthy foods that provide good doses of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. For this reason, experts stress the importance of adding them as a dessert or regular snack.
Although it is also interesting to find other ways of introducing them in meals. One option is the melon gazpacho. It keeps well for a few days in the fridge and you can add the decoration just before serving.
So if you have already taken note of the recipe, it is time to expand the variety of cold soups and enjoy this delicious and rich and nutritious dish.
Cold vegetable soups are a great alternative to enjoy healthy lunches and dinners. Do you want to learn how to prepare them? Read more "