Is it possible to be allergic to electricity?

Being allergic to electricity is not a topic that is talked about much. However, there are many reports of this condition, although at the moment it does not have a scientific basis, nor is the formal diagnosis of this condition recognized.

If someone is allergic to electricity it means that when exposed to electromagnetic fields presents an adverse response involving visible symptoms. These range from discomfort to the eyes to more severe conditions.

To this condition it is also known as electromagnetic hypersensitivity. Science has not reached a consensus on this issue, as there is contradictory evidence on the matter.

What is electromagnetic hypersensitivity?

Being allergic to electricity, or suffering from electromagnetic hypersensitivity, is defined, in principle, as an intolerance to electromagnetic fields. If someone with this apparent condition is exposed to them, they have a series of symptoms that largely coincide with those of an allergy.

Electromagnetic fields are constituted from radiation emanating from high-voltage lines, cell phones, household appliances and Wi-Fi networks. In theory, if someone is allergic to electricity and is exposed to such fields, they will present physical or emotional discomfort.

There is no scientific evidence that corroborates the existence of this evil. Some research has shown that people who feel afflicted by this problem, present the symptoms in front of real electromagnetic fields, but also in front of simulated ones.

Meanwhile, the European Commission published a report on the matter in 2015. There it points out that there is no evidence that someone is allergic to electricity, or that electromagnetic hypersensitivity exists. However, also clarify that more research is required on the subject.

Being allergic to electricity: symptoms

An important sector of doctors and scientists think that in cases like this the precautionary principle should be applied. This indicates that in situations in which there is no conclusive evidence, for or against, the indicated thing is to admit the existence of the condition and act accordingly.

According to the available data, and not corroborated, electromagnetic hypersensitivity causes chronic fatigue, recurring headache, dizziness, nervousness, tachycardia, reduced concentration, insomnia and other similar symptoms.

Likewise, it is pointed out that the symptoms of those who are allergic to electricity comprise three stages:

  • First phase. It is basically neurological in nature. It includes manifestations such as headache, ringing in the ears, numbness and tingling, dizziness, concentration difficulties, digestive disorders, tachycardia, and others.
  • Second stage. This stage is characterized by the usual presence of three symptoms: chronic fatigue, insomnia and depression. There may also be irritability, verbal aggressiveness, and mood disorders.
  • Third phase. In children there may be hyperactivity and loss of interest in games and study. Adolescents could present mental and behavioral alterations; in adults, confusional syndrome, and sometimes pseudodementia.

An important aspect that must be taken into account is that the symptoms worsen when there is exposure to electromagnetic fields, but they become milder if it is limited. This condition appears to be increasing gradually. It has more psychic effects in children, and more neurodegenerative in adults.

You may also be interested: Negative effects of mobile phones for health: myth or truth?

Is there a treatment for electromagnetic hypersensitivity?

While electromagnetic hypersensitivity is not a formally recognized pathology, there is also no treatment for it. Experts who admit to the fact that you can be allergic to electricity point out that this may be due to a weak immune system, or a special vulnerability to electromagnetism.

Case reports indicate that this condition increases progressively. Against this, Recommendations to follow include some changes in habits, such as the following:

  • Ventilate the house for 15 minutes, every day.
  • Replace Wi-Fi networks with wired connections.
  • Replace cordless phones with landlines.
  • Employ the services of a specialist to detect which are the main sources of radiation In the home. This would allow changes to be made to reduce the exposure of the affected person.
  • Wear natural fiber garments, such as cotton or genuine wool. Synthetic materials favor static electricity and are therefore not recommended.
  • Use the mobile phone only for the essentials. Do it in open areas and with speaker activation so as not to have to bring it closer to the head.
  • Remove electrical appliances or any similar device from the bedroom. The best thing is that while they are not being used, they remain disconnected.

Ultimately, what is sought is that those who are allergic to electricity expose themselves as little as possible to electromagnetic fields. In this way, symptoms may lessen, rather than get worse.

Final recommendations

In today's world there are electromagnetic fields everywhere. Not only does it come from electrical or electronic devices, but it is all over the universe. The Earth has its own magnetic field. Likewise, the radiation that arrives from the Sun every day is much higher than that emitted by any mobile telephone antenna.

Taking into account the above, it is virtually impossible to create "electromagnetic radiation free spaces". Anyway, whether or not there is an allergy to electromagnetism, the healthiest thing is to disconnect from time to time from the devices. Better when this is used to visit spaces full of nature.