How to protect children from heat waves: alarms and tips
The sun, when it shines and seems to embrace us through its heat, usually represents a reason for happiness. However, the sun's damage to the skin is well known. Despite this, We don't always have enough information and alerts about how to protect ourselves. The latter is even more important when it comes to protecting children from heat waves.
How to protect children from heat waves
Although, at the beginning of autumn, the sun and its strength begin to weaken, there are sometimes sudden changes in temperature that force us to use clothes more typical of summer. When the hot days are continuous and the temperatures are very high, even though we are not in the hot season, we must pay proper attention, without neglecting the elders and children.
Causes and consequences of excess heat
“The body surface of a child is not the same as that of an adult and the very high temperatures cause people to perspire more than usual. That system runs out, it starts what is called ‘heat exhaustion’ and from there it goes to heat stroke »
– Pediatrician Marisa Sala, of the Pediatric Development and Research Institute of the Sor María Ludovica Children's Hospital, Argentina-
In parallel, from the Argentine Society of Pediatrics, facing the question of how to protect children from heat waves, It is advisable to consider the alerts of the weather system, which usually anticipate extreme weather situations, to avoid damage to health.
In line with the above, from that same Scientific Society a series of recommendations on how to deal with a possible heat wave.
- Ensure that children remain in cool and well ventilated places Faced with the threat of high temperatures.
- It is useful wear wide, light-colored and preferably cotton clothes. Light colored clothing, such as white or pastel shades without prints, may be of importance in order to prevent insect bites, especially mosquitoes.
Additional data to consider:
- There is no other offer liquids on a regular basis. This includes water and natural juices, avoiding, in general, sugary drinks.
- In the case of infants who are breastfeeding, the frequency of feeding can be increased.
- There are schedules, such as between 10 and 16 hours, in which sun exposure is not advised. It is desirable to remember the use of visor hats or caps, as well as apply sunscreen on exposed areas, even on cloudy days.
Also read: Tips to survive a heat wave if you don't have air conditioning
Also, from Eres mama it is pointed out: «A heat stroke can ruin the fun and become a bad time for children. Therefore, before enjoying the days outdoors it is essential to take some forecasts ».
What is it and what is not a heat stroke?
According to the same source cited, «It is known as heat stroke in children to an alteration or destabilization of the body's thermal regulation«. It is, therefore, a reaction of the organism that produces an excessive loss of salts and water due to extreme exposure to the sun or heat.
It can also occur due to dehydration, which causes the body temperature to reduce on its own. The most vulnerable to heat stroke are children and the elderly, who have more difficulty expelling heat from the body.
You may be interested: Pregnancy in summer: how it affects heat
Finally: How to protect children from heat waves?
Faced with the question of how to protect children from heat waves, it is important to provide a series of alarm signals and advice. It is suggested, on the one hand, to refresh yourself whenever necessary. Necessary protect yourself from sun exposure direct as well as avoiding all kinds of physical effort in the hottest hours.
Parallel, you have to take care of younger children and be attentive to:
- Maintain adequate hydration. In addition, in order to prevent diarrhea and other diseases, it is important to wash your hands with soap and water both before and after handling food, and changing baby diapers.
- It is of great importance the care of food, since they decompose rapidly with high temperatures. They should not be left out of the refrigerator to avoid cutting the cold chain.