The walnut sauce is very easy to make and supposes one more resource at the time of varying our recipes of sauces. The nuts are the fruit of the walnut. There are different varieties of nuts as Common, Parisenne, Payne, Partridge Peak, Eureka Y Hartley.
This walnut sauce is ideal to accompany various types of dishes, including pasta, fish, meat and salads. Even, can be used to fill peppers, potatoes, tomatoes and courgettes. Do you dare to try it?
Properties of nuts
Walnuts are notable for their content of omega 3, protein and vitamin E. They also contain polyphenols and dietary fiber.
The nut is a nut with many benefits and nutritional properties. Among which its benefits stand out when it comes to protecting our cardiovascular health and is also an antioxidant fruit.
Nuts are a source of healthy fats, they provide us Omega-3, which are very beneficial for our brain and heart. They also have many antioxidants: vitamin E, and polyphenols. The polyphenols in nuts together with Omega-3 have anti-inflammatory effects.
The daily intake of 4-5 nuts is healthy and does not make you fat, since nuts are rich in fiber and help to cause satiety. Consume walnuts regularly helps keep our intestinal flora in good conditionl. This is because it increases the number of beneficial bacteria that are part of the intestinal flora.
Scientific studies have shown that nuts prevent oxidative damage and they act on bad cholesterol. Likewise, Its consumption is considered good to prevent the death of brain cells. The daily intake protects us against the cognitive decline that usually occurs over the years.
Autumn is the best season, although we can buy them throughout the year. The ideal way to preserve the nuts without the shell is to keep it in glass bottles with airtight seal to make sure that they are well closed and retain all their properties.
Read also: The benefits of nut consumption for our stomach
How to preserve nuts
After buying nuts, The best place to keep them is the fridge or freezer, depending on when you are going to use them. If you use them immediately, store them in the fridge.
If you have to keep them for a month or more, it is better to put them in the freezer. However, in the case that you buy packaged nuts, you can keep them in their original packaging. However, once you have opened the package, put them in a vacuum package to keep them fresh.
Another option to buy is walnuts in bulk, with or without peel. In this case try to keep them in a vacuum package to keep them fresh for a long time.
Low-calorie walnut sauce recipe
To make a low-calorie walnut sauce we can combine this nut with other healthy ingredients such as garlic, cheese, pepper and milk.
The preparation of a walnut sauce allows you to take advantage of the benefits of this food in a different way. Further, facilitates its incorporation into regular food. You can enjoy it in your breakfasts, lunches or dinners.
- Peeled nuts – 16 units.
- Evaporated milk (alternative to cream) – 150 ml.
- Extra virgin olive oil -50 ml.
- Garlic clove – 1 unit.
- Cream cheese – 1 tablespoon.
- Salt to taste.
- Pepper- a pinch.
- Hard egg – optional.
- Parmesan cheese- optional.
You may also be interested: Four-cheese quiche with walnuts
Preparation of walnut sauce
- First, cook the nuts in a saucepan with boiling water for 5 minutes. Once the 5 minutes of the cooking time of the walnuts have passed, with the help of a sieve, pour the saucepan over a container.
- This way, the nuts are well drained. Then, cut them into pieces and add them to the blender or mincer together with evaporated milk, clove of garlic and a spoonful of fresh cheese.
- Crush the mixture until it is homogeneous. After, add a little extra virgin olive oil and mix again a few seconds in the chopper. Next, remove the sauce from the chopper, and season with a little pepper and reserve.
- You can use this walnut sauce to accompany a pasta dish. In this case, mix three or four tablespoons of the cooking water with the walnut sauce and you will get the desired texture. At the time of plating, you can add a hard-boiled egg, pieces of walnuts or Parmesan cheese to the dish.
Did you like the recipe? As you can see, it is very easy to prepare and combines healthy ingredients. Go ahead and make it at home and enjoy its delicious flavor.