How to make pea puree
There is no faster and easier way to prepare this vegetable than mashed peas. Because only a few ingredients and a mixer are needed to have it ready in minutes.
This cream is a perfect companion to any protein, be it meat, fish or tofu. In addition to providing a bright tone to the dish, it serves as a garnish and sauce to accompany it. If you keep reading you will learn how to prepare it step by step and how it can benefit you.
Tasty and healthy pea puree
Peas are vegetables that you absolutely adore or abhor. On many occasions, the problem lies in the monotony when cooking them, almost always boiled and presented as a garnish.
And although they are also delicious that way, it is interesting to know other recipes in which it is the main protagonist: stews, stews, salads or a soup for the coldest days.
Peas (Pisum sativum) Are an ancestral food and a very valuable ingredient of traditional Mediterranean cuisine. They stand out for their contribution of fiber, vitamins C and K and minerals such as iron, magnesium and phosphorus. In addition, they contain slightly more protein than the rest of the fresh vegetables.
Thanks to all this they are ideal for people at risk of anemia or with low iron intake in the diet. They also represent a good amount of additional selenium, folates, and antioxidants.
Experts study its potential benefits for cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, some cancers, and digestive tract health.
But actually, it is a very interesting food to introduce into the daily diet of all, even the smallest. To innovate in its preparation, we present two ways to make an original pea puree.
Discover: The best sources of vegetable protein
Ingredients for 4 servings of homemade pea puree
- 500 grams of frozen peas.
- 1 onion.
- 3 garlic cloves.
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 unit of cheese in portions.
- 500 milliliters of chicken broth.
- 1/2 lemon juice.
- 1 bay leaf.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Step by step to prepare it
- To get started, cook the peas in a pot with water for 5 to 7 minutes. Once at its point, drain and reserve. It is not advisable to cook them too long, since otherwise they lose their characteristic color.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the onion into small cubes and the garlic into larger pieces. In a pan with a wide base or a saucepan add olive oil and fry both ingredients.
- After 3 minutes add the bay leaf and peas. Sauté everything together for a couple more minutes over medium heat, ensuring that everything is well mixed. Then, also add the cheese.
- Let it rest for a few minutes with the fire off and the cheese will melt.
- Pour all the content into a blender glass or bowl. Add a little chicken broth and blend. Then add a little more until you get the desired texture.
- To get a touch of different and fresher flavor, add a few sprigs of mint or parsley when mixing. In addition, combined with a little avocado you get a much creamier texture.
For a vegan version of this recipe, substitute the cheese for a little tofu or soy cream or oatmeal to cook. The chicken broth is replaced by vegetable broth. A 100% vegetable dish that everyone can enjoy; even the lactose intolerant and people with allergies to cow protein.
Find out more: Milk allergy and lactose intolerance: what are the differences?
Another way to cook pea puree
With these quantities, 4 servings of this variant of the previous recipe are made:
- 500 grams of frozen or fresh peas.
- 1/2 onion.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 pinch of cumin.
- 500 milliliters of chicken or vegetable broth.
- 1 teaspoon of butter or extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt and pepper.
- 1 tablespoon of evaporated milk or coconut milk.
You prepare it with the following step by step:
- First, boil the peas in a pot with water and salt. If they are frozen, pour directly without defrosting. They are usually ready in about 5 minutes. In any case, it is advisable to try to obtain the best doneness.
- Peel and cut the onion very finely and the garlic finely chopped. Melt the butter in a pan over low heat and cook these vegetables for about 2 minutes.
- When they begin to acquire a translucent tone it is time to add the drained peas. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 more minutes.
- With the heat off add the evaporated milk or coconut milk. Stir a little to integrate everything and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Now is the time to shred. For it, pour all the ingredients into the blender glass and beat until obtaining a puree texture. From here, add the broth little by little according to the desired texture.
Once placed in a bowl, add a few cubes of Serrano ham, bread croutons, a little grated cheese or sesame seeds to decorate.
Make More Pea Dishes: Sweet Potatoes Stuffed with Peas and Avocado – Delicious and Quick
All the details to obtain the best pea puree
The pea puree itself is a very versatile dish, as it can be eaten in different ways. Depending on the amount of liquid added you get from a soup to a perfect sauce.
In both cases, provides the possibility of adding vitamins, minerals and fiber to any meal. Especially if it accompanies a meat or fish dish or is served as part of a variety of appetizers.
For availability and convenience, frozen peas are almost always used in cooking. However, it is also possible to prepare the puree with fresh vegetables. It is only necessary to bear in mind that the weight refers to the peas, once extracted from the pods.
After its preparation, it is stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days, maintaining all the flavor and properties. Small portions can be frozen to preserve longer.
In short, we can only cheer ourselves on this dish for multiple reasons: it is an explosion of flavors, striking to the eye, aromatic and nutritious.
Meatballs with peas are an excellent way to include meat in the diet, obtaining a dish with an exquisite flavor. Read more "