How to make a table run in simple steps
Making a table runner can be exactly what you need to give a new air to your dining table, to the coffee table or any other table you have in your home. Traditionally, they have been used to dress the dining room table; but being so versatile, you can decorate any surface with them.
Do you dare to make a beautiful and original table runner? We assure you that it is much easier than you think. You will need few materials, a little skill and imagination. Are you ready?
How to make an easy table runner
To make a table run it is advisable to use a sewing machine. In this way, you will ensure perfect completions. If you do not know how to use it, you can ask a friend to help you or take your table runner ready with pins to a dressmaker who can do the job.
A machine-made table runner is finished with beautiful finishes. It is ideal for a special occasion.
Materials needed for a 160 x 80cm table
- Fabric 200 x 45cm
- Sewing machine
Maybe you're interested: «Ideas with charm to take advantage of the pieces of fabric»
Step by Step
- First, It is important to overcast the edges of the fabric to prevent fraying. To do this, use the sewing machine with an overcasting foot or a foot of zig Zag.
- Once you have ready the overcast, it is time to prepare the corners. Mark the hem of approximately 1 cm on the fabric.
- Then, bend the corner inwards, forming a triangle. It is important that you make sure you have got a right angle.
- Hold the triangle with one finger and while, fold the fabric by the hem that you have marked in point 2. Make sure both hems are straight and secure with pins.
- Make the four corners and place pins around the entire table runner.
- Machine sew with a normal foot and that's it!
Can I make a reversible table runner?
Of course! In decoration it is possible to do absolutely everything that you can think of. Making a reversible table runner is a bit more complex, but not impossible.
- 2 different fabrics for the road, of the same size
- 1 thermofusionable interlining, of the same measure as the path
- Bies (optional)
- Sewing machine
How to do it?
- Place the interlining on the table with the shiny side up.
- Locate one of the patterned fabrics on the interlining, with the pattern looking at you, and secured with pins.
- Iron very carefully, especially if you use pins with a plastic head. It is very important that you do not use steam because you would ruin the glue.
- Place the bias flush with the fabric and thread. If you do not want to place a bias, do not worry. When you sew both fabrics and turn them around, your path will be perfect.
- Locate the second fabric printed on the first printed fabric. The idea is that both prints remain one on the other. Secure with pins.
- Sew the outline, leaving one end to turn it over.
- Iron the table runner.
- Hand sew the end that has been opened and ready!
Do not miss: «How to make cushions with recycled shirts»
Ideas to make a table runner
Using your creativity and diverse materials you can give a personalized touch to your table runners.
- You can prepare a path for the length of your table or for the width, in this case it is advisable to do two.
- Do not hesitate to combine fabrics: a path with a center of another fabric can be very beautiful.
- The tips of the table runner can be straight or spiked, it's your choice!
- You can incorporate details to your liking in the tips or peaks of the road: buttons, sequins, pebbles.
- Paint the fabric by hand if you are good at it, it will be beautiful!
- If, on the other hand, your thing is to embroider, What are you waiting for an embroidered decoration?
- Crochet lovers can make this project super original and delicate.
- Keep in mind when calculating the size of your table run that the tips fall should be at least 10 cm. On each side.
What do you think of our ideas? We hope that with this explanation, creating your own and personalized path of table is very simple and you are encouraged to do it!