How to make a carrot smoothie at home and what are its benefits
The carrot is one of the vegetables that should not be missing in the diet, not only because it has a considerable amount of nutrients that provide benefits, but because you can use it to prepare all kinds of recipes. In this opportunity, we tell you how to prepare a smoothie carrot. In addition, we detail what its benefits are.
In relation to this, it should be noted that consuming smoothies, of this or any other vegetable, they are a good strategy to add nutrients, especially vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. With carrots, in particular, you will achieve a striking orange color and a sweet flavor that will be pleasant to the palate of children and adults. Do you dare to try it?
Benefits of consuming carrots
The most remarkable aspect of the carrot, from the nutritional point of view, is that it contains precursors of vitamin A. According to data from the Spanish Nutrition Foundation, a medium-sized carrot covers 89% of the daily needs of this vitamin for men between 20 and 39 years old and 112% for women of the same age.
It also contains a significant amount of carbohydrates, of which a significant percentage is soluble fiber. Of course, it provides other vitamins – although in more discreet amounts – such as vitamin C and vitamin B6, and certain minerals such as iron, iodine and potassium. Let's see in detail its benefits.
It may interest you Cranberry juice: what benefits do you get from taking it?
Improves visual health
Among the carotenoids with provitamin A activity, beta-carotene, acarotene and lutein stand out. Once these components are ingested, the body transforms them into vitamin A, which contributes to the maintenance of vision.
For this reason, carrot consumption is recommended when it comes to preventing blindness, dry eyes and keeping the retina and eye cells intact. In relation to this, a study published in the Journal JAMA Ophthalmology, highlights that carotenoids can reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration (a disorder that destroys central and acute vision).
Take care of cardiovascular health
It has preventive actions against cardiovascular problems because it is low in sodium. It also has a remarkable content of water and dietary fiber. This last, contributes to reducing the intestinal absorption of cholesterol.
In addition, it also helps to avoid excess bad cholesterol (LDL) in the blood. For this reason, including carrots in a healthy diet helps prevent strokes and heart attacks.
This vegetable is a good regulator of digestive and intestinal health. In fact, consuming a glass of carrot juice every day is an effective way to increase the amount of fiber in the diet, both soluble and insoluble.
Specifically, they help to:
According to a study published in 2015 in the Medicentro scientific journal, carrot juices have an important gastroprotective and preventive effect on gastric ulcers.
Strengthens the immune system
The contribution of vitamin A, C, K, B6, potassium, phosphorus and other minerals that are present in carrots, help to keep the immune system active. This consequently lowers the risk of various types of infections.
Classic carrot smoothie recipe
In general, a smoothie It is a simple recipe that is prepared with milk or water and some fruit or vegetable. In the case of smoothie carrot, water is used. Fortunately, it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. Further, It is an ideal option to venture into the world of vegetable juices. Take note!
- 2 medium carrots.
- 1 cup of cold water (250 ml).
- Ice to taste.
- Liquid sweetener or in sachet.
Step by Step
- First, wash the carrots and remove the ends, you don't need to peel them.
- Cut them into small pieces and put them in a blender.
- Then, add the cold water and run this appliance until the smoothie or blended.
- Serve in a glass, add the sweetener if you wish and enjoy.
This is the basic way you can prepare a smoothie of carrots, but to this recipe you can add other vegetables or fruits, and thus obtain delicious flavors.
In addition to the combination of ingredients, you will also be incorporating other nutrients. So that, you can prepare it with strawberries, oranges, parsley, ginger or any other vegetable you prefer.
Carrot smoothie with orange and ginger
This is a variant of the classic recipe. The combination of carrot, orange and ginger besides being a refreshing option, increases the content of vitamins A and C and also the contribution of antioxidant substances. Keep this recipe in mind to make it on hot days.
- 3 carrots
- 4 oranges.
- 1 slice of fresh ginger.
- 1 glass of cold water (200 ml).
- Ice to taste.
- Sweetener to taste.
Step by Step
- To start, wash the carrots until clean, remove the ends, cut them into small pieces, and place them in a blender.
- On the other hand, wash the oranges, remove the peels completely (including all the white part), cut them in half and remove the seeds. If you forget any of them the smoothie it will taste bitter. When you have finished put them in the blender along with the carrots.
- Then wash the ginger. You don't need to peel it, its skin won't change the flavor.
- Once you have done it, introduce it along with the other ingredients.
- Next, add the glass of cold water and the ice. If your blender is not on full power, add the ice once you are done blending.
- Run the blender for 2 minutes or until all the ingredients are combined.
- Right now, try the smoothie and, if you like, add the sweetener. We recommend that it be a non-caloric sweetener since if you add sugar you would be increasing the calories of this juice.
- Finally, serve in a glass and enjoy.
Enjoy a delicious carrot smoothie and take advantage of its benefits
The smoothie carrot, or any fresh raw vegetable, allows the body to take advantage of the bioactive compounds they contain. In this way, it is possible to improve the quality of the diet, while enjoying satiating drinks.
Finally, remember that if you consume this drink regularly and base your diet on natural and quality products, you will be helping to maintain your visual, digestive, and cardiovascular health, and also preventing the development of various diseases. Go ahead and try it!