Hallucinogenic mushrooms grow in a man's veins after he's injected

Drugs are not good, we all agree on that. Some are smoked, others are drunk or ingested, and perhaps the most dangerous (at least in the short term) are injected. What no one could think of is taking one of those eaten by mouth intravenously. This is the tremendous occurrence that a 30-year-old man from the US state of Arizona had to make a hallucinogenic mushroom tea and then inject it into the bloodstream, according to 'Gizmodo'.

Fortunately, he survived. This fateful experience left him bedridden in the hospital for a month. When the aforementioned tea was administered intravenously, he developed a deadly infection that, to the surprise of the doctors, caused the fungi to start growing in his bloodstream. The man had a history of bipolar disorder and opiate dependence. According to his family, he had recently stopped taking prescription drugs. At his own risk, he found information on the Internet about the potential of psychedelic drugs such as mushrooms or LSD to treat dependence on other drugs or alleviate depressive symptoms.

"When he entered the hospital's intensive care unit, his organs began to fail, including his lungs and kidney."

Obviously, he was the victim of his own naivety. In recounting his experience, he told doctors that he had boiled the mushrooms to make tea. He then filtered the mixture through a cotton swab and injected them intravenously. Soon after, the symptoms began, very similar to those that are unleashed when you take this type of hallucinogenic drug: lethargy, jaundice, diarrhea, nausea, confusion, and vomiting blood. Anyone can think that too little happened to the poor man, considering that he made a tea made with 'enter his veins.magic mushrooms'.

Antifungal treatment

"When he entered the hospital's intensive care unit, his organs began to fail, including his lungs and kidney," says 'Gizmodo'. "The tests revealed that he had a bacterial and fungal infection in his blood, which means that the fungi possibly began to feed on their nutrients to grow. The doctors gave him an intense treatment of antibiotics and antifungals ", we suppose, so that he did not die in a few moments.

In total, the man spent 22 days in the hospital, eight of them in the ICU. Finally and fortunately, he recovered. But he still has to follow strict antimicrobial drug treatment. The medical report was recently published in the 'Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry' and according to one of its authors, Curtis mcknight, a psychiatrist at St. Joseph Hospital and Medical Center in Arizona, this is not the first known case of someone deciding to inject hallucinogenic mushrooms into their body.

What sewage says about us: marijuana, cocaine, and MDMA spikes

EFE

In doing the research, he and his companions came another case from 1985 that alluded to other previous ones. Interestingly, the most recent also spoke of a 30-year-old man who came to the hospital with vomiting and many other symptoms after having injected an infusion with this lysergic drug. Like the patient described, he recovered within a few days thanks to prompt medical intervention.

In the United States, the research around positive effects of hallucinogenic mushrooms in patients with severe anxiety or depression disorders It is still at the forefront in terms of alternative treatments to the classic pills, which by the way cause great havoc on the country's population due to the enormous dependence they produce. Oregon became the first state to pass legalization of "magic mushrooms" for psychiatric use a few months ago, and it is expected to be the first of many. Of course, ingested, never injected.