Easy and traditional Mexican capirotada recipe
We are going to tell you how to optimally prepare Mexican capirotada to provide variety in desserts, including a sweet option with many antioxidants.
The Mexican capirotada is a typical dessert of the Lenten period which is made with a small bun as the main ingredient. It has exquisite organoleptic characteristics and includes a large amount of fruit in the production process, so it can provide a significant dose of phytochemical compounds with antioxidant capacity.
We are going to show you one simple way to prepare Mexican capirotada. But, first of all, you must remember that it is okay to consume a sweet for dessert at a special time. The truth is that in the regular diet natural yogurt or fruit should appear with some frequency to finish the meals. Now, a more greedy option included in a timely manner will not cause damage.
Mexican capirotada ingredients
To get an excellent Mexican capirotada, the following ingredients will be necessary:
- 1/4 cup of piloncillo.
- 1/2 cup of water.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 2 cloves.
- 1/4 cup of raisins.
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter.
- 3/4 cup of Cortija complaint.
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- 16 slices of 1/3-inch bolillo bread, two days old.
- 1/4 cup of peanuts.
- 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Fruit to taste cut into slices and without skin.
Step by Step
- To start, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- At the same time, heat the piloncillo in a medium pot together with the cinnamon, the cloves and the water. All this has to be cooked at medium temperature until it forms a syrup.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Mix the butter with the oil. This elaboration will serve to varnish the slices of bread to be placed in an oven-safe container.
- Once painted, bake them for 8 minutes.
- As time passes, turn them over and put them back in the oven for at least 5 more minutes so they get a golden color.
- From here you will have to mount the capirotada. To do this, arrange the slices of bread at the base of a baking pan. On top, pour the piloncillo syrup. Then add the cheese, raisins and peanuts. It is also possible to incorporate any other cut fruit to improve the final flavor.. Close the preparation with another layer of bread and include a filling again. Thus, until the bread runs out.
- When the preparation is ready, cover again with the rest of the syrup and with cheese, raisins and peanuts, placing a few nuts of butter on the surface.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil and put it back in the appliance for 45 minutes. The objective is that all the layers of bread are moist and form a superficial browning.
Benefits of the Mexican capirotada
The Mexican capirotada is an energetic dessert. Even so, its consumption can generate a series of health benefits if it is included in the context of a varied and balanced diet.
It is necessary to avoid a deficit of essential nutrients. Otherwise, the body would not function properly and it would be likely that chronic and complex pathologies would develop over the years.
Provides quality energy
One of the positive points of the Mexican capirotada is that it has quality carbohydrates inside. These elements are the main energy substrate for carrying out high-intensity activities. They are key nutrients for athletes. In fact, Its intake is recommended before a maximum or submaximal type exercise.
On the other hand, it is not only decisive to ensure an optimal consumption of carbohydrates before training, but also after. Thus, lost glycogen stores are replenished and a better recovery is achieved, which will have a positive impact on the risk of injury. Of course, it is always advisable to administer carbohydrates with a dose of protein of high biological value, according to a study published in the journal Nutrients.
May help prevent muscle cramps
Both peanuts and raisins are a source of minerals such as potassium or magnesium. These elements help maintain a stable hydroelectrolytic balance, which could protect from muscle cramps during intense exercise.
There is still no evidence that a high intake of these nutrients manages to reduce the incidence of muscle pain in sports, but it seems that a deficit could increase the risk.
On the other hand, magnesium is a determining element in muscle recovery. Also, some research indicates that it significantly influences the physiology of sleep. In this way, an optimal intake could improve rest, which allows maintaining a balance at the hormonal and inflammatory level within the body.
Provides quality antioxidants
The Mexican capirotada can contain several types of fruits or foods of vegetable origin inside. All these foods concentrate a large amount of phytochemicals with antioxidant capacity. These compounds manage to neutralize the formation of free radicals and its subsequent accumulation in the tissues of the organism.
This effect has been related to a lower risk of developing chronic and complex pathologies over the years, as confirmed by research published in the journal European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. It’s important to keep inflammation in the internal environment in check, and for that, few things are better than a regular supply of plant-based phytochemicals.
These compounds not only have a positive impact on the risk of getting sick, but also help prevent the appearance of the signs of aging. At the end, a good part of the reactive oxygen species accumulate in the skin and favor the appearance of expression marks and wrinkles.
Prepare Mexican capirotada at home in a simple way
As you have been able to verify, it is easy to prepare Mexican capirotada at home with few ingredients. It is a recipe that can be customized by adding fruit to taste between each of the layers of bread. In this way, the nutritional value of the dish and its antioxidant content are increased, which is clearly beneficial in the medium term.
Finally, keep in mind that good health can only be achieved by maintaining good lifestyle habits over time. It is okay to include a sweet dessert in a timely manner, but it is advisable to exercise frequently to minimize the impact of simple sugars on the body. In this way, homeostasis will be maintained internally.
You might be interested…