Experts insist on leading a healthy life and a balanced diet, but to maintain good health a little more is needed. Recent research showed that stress affects the intestine as much as diet.
[You may also like: Does the noise of the cities make you fat? A study discovers something unthinkable]
¿QWhat happens in the body?
Stress is a physiological reaction of defense against certain threats. It happens when our organism perceives a potential danger. Then, the adrenal glands release adrenaline and cortisol, the stress hormones. As a result, the heart is accelerated to pump more blood to the muscles and other organs.
When the threat disappears, the brain sends the order to stop and the organism returns to calm.
When going through stress situations, it is difficult to maintain a healthy diet. Many people tend to eat to satisfy emotional needs, and they opt for very caloric meals.
But how much does stress make you fat? A recent investigation has managed to determine it.
How much does stress increase?
Each organism is different, so you can not specify the exact number of kilos that the body increases for each thing that causes us stress, but could be compared with eat a cheeseburger or a candy bar and chocolate, according to the work of a team of scientists from the Brigham Young University, in United States. In their research, they have found that stress affects the intestine as much as diet.
We must remember that stress makes let's be anxious and less active physically.
How to control it
According to Mayo Clinic, there are some recommendations you can follow to control the weight gain associated with stress:
– Ask yourself if you really are hungry or if you are eating out of anxiety. If you are not hungry, look for an alternative distraction.
– Avoid skipping meals, particularly breakfast. If you do not have time to sit down for breakfast, at least eat a fruit.
– Try to eat a healthy and complete diet, with whole grains and a variety of fruits and vegetables.
– Think about the caloric foods that comfort you and avoid having them within your reach at home or in the office.
– Record your eating habits to look for patterns and think about what you can do to overcome them.
Important: dIt should be clarified that Bioguia does not give medical advice or prescribe the use of techniques as a form of treatment for physical or mental problems without the advice of a doctor, either directly or indirectly. In the case of applying for this purpose any information on this site, Bioguia does not assume responsibility for these acts. The intention of the site is only to offer information of a general nature to help in the search of development and personal growth.