Corn salsa recipe: easy and delicious
Without a doubt, corn is a food that can be used in different recipes. If you want to learn how to make a homemade sauce with this ingredient, read the article that we leave you here.
Corn sauce is a delicious recipe to accompany a wide variety of dishes. In fact, meats, stuffed pasta and vegetables are some of the examples in which it is used.
Although the origin of this recipe is not known with certainty, it is known that corn is a very important ingredient in the gastronomy of different Central American countries. So it could come from these areas.
How to prepare the corn sauce?
Preparing your own corn salsa at home is very simple. Next, we leave you the recipe so you can make it yourself. Take note!
Prepare the corn sauce with ingredients commonly used in the kitchen such as the following:
- Salt to taste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 white onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- smoked paprika and oregano to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 units of corn or 1 can of yellow corn kernels
- Optional: 2 tablespoons plain yogurt or spreadable cheese
Step by Step
- To start, peel and finely chop the onion and the garlic clove (remove the center of it so that it does not invade the flavor of the sauce). Make it as small as you can. If you have a processor, you can grind them in this device. When you’re done, set aside a few minutes.
- Then continue with the corn. If you choose to use a canned product it is important that you open it and remove all the liquid it contains. Wash several times under running water to remove excess sodium. Then drain and reserve the grains in a container.
- If you prefer to use the cob, you have to peel, wash and then shell the 3 units. To do this, use a knife. Proceed by holding the corn firmly with one hand and with the other cut the kernels flush. Put a plate or fountain to collect them.
- Once you have these ingredients ready, it’s time to start cooking. Place the olive oil in a pan, turn the heat to a minimum and put the onion and garlic that you had reserved inside. Stir so it doesn’t stick.
- Cook 5 minutes or until onion turns translucent.
- Then add the corn kernels. Cook for 5 more minutes without stopping stirring.
- Now it’s time to add the salt and seasonings. Season to your liking.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to the blender, add the milk and turn on the appliance for a few minutes. Do this until the grains are processed and a thick paste forms. In this step you can add more or less liquid, depending on how you want the corn sauce to be. If you want it to be creamier, add the 2 tablespoons of spreadable cheese or natural yogurt.
- When you have obtained the texture you want, taste it and if you think it is necessary, add more salt, paprika or oregano.
- Transfer all the preparation to a bowl and that’s ityou can now accompany your dishes with this exquisite corn sauce.
Keep in mind that it can last up to 3 days in the fridge and that to keep it you have to use a container with a lid.
Dishes in which you can add this recipe
If you do not know in which dishes you can add this sauce, keep in mind that it combines with a wide variety of options:
- As a dressing for baked chicken with vegetables.
- For him topping from Lasagna Made of veggies.
- As a meat roll dressing with salad.
- For him topping of spinach and cheese cannelloni.
- As a spread on toast or breadsticks.
- To flavor lentil burgers.
Some Nutrition Facts About Corn Salsa
It is important to note that this sauce is nutritious, since corn is considered a healthy food. In relation to this, there is vast scientific evidence that the intake of this and other whole grains are beneficial for humans.
The book of the Spanish Nutrition Foundation indicates that the nutrient content in 100 grams of corn is as follows:
- 19.5 grams of complex and simple carbohydrates.
- 3.3 grams of protein.
- 40 micrograms of folates.
- 12 micrograms of beta-carotene or vitamin A precursors.
- 2.8 grams of dietary fiber.
Corn is a suitable food for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
Tips for making this sauce
This sauce is delicious and you can consume it with hot or cold food. Depending on the dish you want to eat, you can reheat it or store it in the fridge.
If you like, you can incorporate dressings inside it. A few drops of ketchup, hot sauce, soy sauce or lemon drops are ideal to give this sauce personality.
You might be interested…