Colon cancer: this is the disease that has led to Pau Donés

A few weeks ago, Pau Donés reappeared in the middle of the coronavirus de-escalation, announcing a new album. The networks were quickly filled with comments about his poor appearance and his health due to cancer.

The singer, was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2015 and after two years of struggle, in 2017 he had to leave the music after a relapse. On May 30 he released, "Esto que tú das me", the title of the single with which Jarabe de Palo announced a new album and with which Pau Donés confirmed his return to music after many months disappeared. It is the way I have to thank you for the generosity that you have shown me, and that it has always been much more than I really deserved, "wrote the singer in a statement that surprised his fans a lot and in which he did not forget mentioning the illness that he suffers, as he has done since his diagnosis, giving him a public visibility that demonstrated Pau's bravery (just as Alex Lequio did with his cancer, an Ewing sarcome), "We really like asking and receiving, much more to give, and rare is the time that we give without expecting anything in return. What has happened to me lately is just the opposite, I have received a lot without asking or expecting anything. Good, very good things: affection, affection, respect, love, from people I knew and people I didn't know or ", the artist said in the statement.

Today, after many years fighting against colon cancer, Pau Donés has left us. To understand more about this disease, we have spoken with Dr. Carlos Ballesta, Director of the Dr. Ballesta Laparoscopic Center (CLB) / Teknon Medical Center.

Colon cancer: everything you need to know

The colon cancer It is one of the most frequent in Spain, with almost 45,000 people diagnosed in 2019, according to data from the Spanish Society of Medical Oncology (SEOM). 80% of colon cancer cases are sporadic which means that its cause is nonspecific, and the remaining 20% ​​are hereditary. Although they are more frequent in men, they can occur in both sexes and early detection is the key to overcome them, since it has a 90% chance of cure. "In the appearance of colon cancer, there are two causes that can even be added: genetics (it is hereditary) and food (eating fats, smoking or alcohol, among others), in addition to obesity and age: it is more frequent between 50 and 70 years ", explains Dr. Ballesta. As it is a silent cancer in its early initial stages, it can be difficult to diagnose, so check-ups must be done from a certain age: "if there is a family history, it is recommended to perform stool occult blood tests and colonoscopy. If not there is a history, from the age of 50 it is recommended to do it, although some scientific societies already recommend that the age for early diagnosis be advanced to 45, "he says.

What are your symptoms?

Colon cancer has no symptoms in its early stages, and most begin with appearance of a polyp, a small cancerous mass located in the wall of the colon, which if it grows, can become a malignant tumor. Dr. Ballesta refers to this asymptomatic situation, however, it depends a lot on the state of the cancer, "Depending on the state or moment in which it is found and its location, right or left colon, symptoms vary; from having no symptoms to suffering from chronic anemia, iron deficiency, appearance of blood or mucus in stool, diarrhea alternating with constipation, weight loss, tiredness or pain, "he says.

What are the treatments?

"Treatment depends on the location, stage and size of the cancer. Extraction is performed by colonoscopy or by alternating laparoscopic surgery. The safest and most radical procedure to cure that tumor, and to be able to clean the tumor and lymph nodes where it is spread is surgery laparoscopic and globally accepted. Surgery may require cancer treatment prior with chemotherapy and / or radiotherapy (neoadjuvant treatment) or after surgery (adjuvant) depending on the characteristics and location of the tumor, "says the doctor when asked about the steps to follow. after diagnosis. Also, colonoscopy, fecal occult blood test (PSOH) or fecal immunohistochemistry test (PIF) every year, sigmoidoscopy every five years, a carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) test, digital rectal examination and double opaque enema. Contrasts are some of the forms of cancer diagnosis.

You are also interested in