Chickpea stew with spinach
Do you think of big pots and heavy digestions when imagining a vegetable stew? Well, with this recipe for chickpea stew with spinach you can see that this is not always the case.
A simple and easy to prepare dish It is not heavy at all and can be eaten often. In addition, stews are traditional dishes that comfort and nourish at the same time. Find out how to do it below.
Vegetable and legume stews
The importance of incorporating legumes in the daily diet resonates with more force. They are a very nutritious food and it is necessary to eat them more often since a large part of the population does not eat it in the recommended amounts.
They can be prepared in many presentations to have more variety. Soups and stews are classic recipes and each region usually has its most typical dishes. However, nowadays the lack of time or the fear of saturated fats has kept them away from many menus.
Chickpea stew with spinach cooks relatively easily and in a short time, especially if you use canned chickpeas. In addition, you can take advantage of a free afternoon to prepare more servings and keep them in the fridge or freezer.
Discover What is the batch cooking?
Chickpea stew with spinach
In this recipe, legumes and vegetables are combined in equal parts with what the result is a healthy and light. Do you dare to prepare it? Don't forget the bread to soak the sauce.
Ingredients needed to prepare 4 servings
- 400 grams of cooked chickpeas.
- 200 grams of spinach.
- 3 or 4 hard boiled eggs.
- 1 small onion.
- 4 or 5 tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bouillon cube (optional).
- Black pepper.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
Step by Step
- To start with, peel and cut the onion into cubes and fry in a frying pan with olive oil. When it starts to turn golden brown, add the tomato sauce. Let reduce and reserve.
- Following, sauté the garlic and spinach in another pan well cleaned and cut. When they take on a darker green color, remove from heat.
- Prepare a casserole to cook the chickpea stew. Pour the onion and tomato sauce, and add about 350 milliliters of water. Then add the chickpeas (well drained if they are canned). Salt and pepper to taste and if desired you can put a stock cube.
- After 5 minutes, add the spinach and cook everything together for 5 more minutes. If the stew is very dry, add a little more water.
- After this time, put out the fire and add the peeled hard boiled eggs and cut in half. Cover and let it rest for a moment so that the latter acquire the flavor of the sauce. It is ready to serve.
Second option to prepare the recipe for chickpeas with spinach
Another way to cook this dish faster, but with the same flavor. A complete alternative suitable for a vegan diet, since this time eggs or any other ingredient of animal origin are not added.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- Half an onion.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of water.
- 3 handfuls of spinach baby.
- 200 grams of cooked or canned chickpeas.
- Salt and extra virgin olive oil.
- Peel and mince the garlic and onion finely. Then fry them with a little olive oil in a pot or casserole. Leave between 3 and 4 minutes over low heat.
- At the same time, wash and drain the bunches of spinach and also add to the casserole. Sauté for two minutes.
- Following, pour in the cooked chickpeas and sauté several minutes. Then, cover all the ingredients with the water, add salt and pepper and cover. Cook over low heat, since in this way all the flavors have just been combined.
- If you have vegetable broth already prepared or frozen, you can change it for water. The function is the same and instead the dish will have much more flavor.
- After 20 minutes it is ready to eat.
To give a more pronounced touch of flavor, add other ingredients to the sauce. Try celery, bell pepper, zucchini or leek, and experiment with the spices, including sweet paprika and bay leaf.
Try original recipes Chickpea and mushroom omelette: a recipe Light for your breakfast
Chickpea stew with spinach: another dish to eat legumes
This recipe is an excellent opportunity to incorporate legumes into your diet. This It is interesting at a nutritional and health level since it has been observed that they help reduce the incidence of some chronic diseases. But not only this, since limiting the intake of proteins of animal origin and replacing a part with more vegetable proteins is positive at an environmental level.
If you don't have time to cook it right away, It can be left prepared the day before or have some servings in the freezer. In fact, it is almost preferable because with time the flavors settle and the broth becomes thicker.
Although it is not a particularly difficult recipe, it can be even simpler if you use frozen spinach and canned chickpeas. And in the case of not having these two ingredients, you can vary and use cabbage, chard, lentils or beans.
In the case of suffering problems with the consumption of legumes (poor digestion or gas), you can reduce the amount of chickpeas and add a little more vegetables. Seasoning the dish with cumin, bay leaf or fennel can help reduce flatulence.
Chickpeas provide fiber, protein, and slow-absorbing carbohydrates. Spinach is a source of vitamins A, C and group B and minerals such as iron, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus.
Therefore, It is a complete dish to which you do not need to add anything more than a yogurt or a piece of fruit for dessert. Or yes … maybe a nice slice of bread to go with it!
It is important to know ways to cook legumes or legumes, which enhance their flavor and make the most of their nutrients. Read more "