If you are thinking of planting daisies on your balcony or garden, you cannot miss this article. We tell you what are the different types of daisies and how you should take care of each one of them so that your flowers have a long and healthy life. Continue reading!
The daisies and their care
The daisy is one of the most popular and famous flowers in the world. In many series and movies we have seen the protagonist on duty deflating a daisy repeating the classic "loves me, does not love me." Now, do you know that there are different species?
As you read, there are more than 140 different species of daisies. The best known flower has a yellow center surrounded by many elongated white petals. However, you can also find it in various colors such as yellow, pink and orange, among others.
Types of daisies and their care
1. Shasta Daisy
This type of daisy usually blooms between June and September. Although your soil must remain moist, standing water should be avoided.
It usually has a large size and delicate petals. Its origin is located in the Pyrenees, thus being very resistant to cold climates and frost, although it needs full sun to bloom. The time of flowering is between June and September.
- Use a fertile soil with good drainage.
- Keep the soil moist but without pooling to get the flower to develop properly. Shasta daisy roots do not support standing water.
- It is recommended to cut flowers from time to time to encourage greater blooms.
- In September, when the flowering stage is over, it is advised to cut the foliage severely backwards.
You may be interested: «« Plant pests and diseases »
2. Echinacea purpurea
While they are similar to the Shasta daisy, they stand out for their intense reddish center and purple petals. This flower is usually easily found in North America and some parts of South America and Africa, where it is possible to see it reach the subway or even two meters high.
On the other hand, it is worth noting that echinacea is not only famous for its striking exterior but also has medicinal uses. In fact, It is used as a supplement to increase defenses and treat respiratory infections.
- It requires a soil with good drainage, since the excess of water harms it.
- It is also important to remove slugs and snails from nearby, due to the serious damage they can cause to the plant.
3. Margarita Gerber
This type of daisy is often used in all types of floral arrangements. They are delicate flowers that require care.
Among the types of daisies we can not fail to mention the commonly known as "gerbera." Did you know that it is really a kind of daisy? If you look closely, you will appreciate its resemblance.
Generally, Gerber daisies are often used in bridal bouquets and for all kinds of floral arrangements. By observing them it is easy to know why: they are simply beautiful. Yes, These are fragile flowers that require dedication and work.
- It is advisable to apply a mulch of nutritional elements when planting it. Further, you must transplant it during spring to a larger pot, at least once every two years, so that the plant continues its development.
- Like the types of daisies mentioned above, gerberas do not support excess water although they do require a wet and well drained soil.
The magarza is also known as Margarita de Canarias, due to its origin. In fact, it grows wild in the Canary Islands although, of course, they are also grown because of their great beauty.
Its flowers stand out for their beautiful colors that include white, yellow and pink, as well as for its single or double petal lines. In any case, all kinds of jaws require specific care so as not to wilt.
Beyond its ornamental use, it is possible to find in herbalists prepared Margarita de Canarias as a stomach tonic and even as a possible remedy against asthma.
- It needs direct sun to grow and flourish.
- If pots are used, it is better to opt for large sizes (over 40 centimeters).
- Although it resists cold (and even frost) well, it develops best with temperatures above 20 ° C.
- Irrigation should be moderate, without flooding, and the soil, well drained.
Rudbeckia is one of the most attractive daisy varieties due to its colorful colors.
Among the types of daisies, rudbeckia is one of the most striking and surely, the most difficult to classify with the naked eye as daisy.
It is distinguished from the classic by its bulky burgundy center with small yellow or orange splashed at the ends and its wide petals that narrow at the tips. Its flowering occurs between June and October.
- Rudbeckia tolerates semi-shaded places well, but its usual sun exposure is recommended.
- Like those already mentioned, it requires soils with good drainage and in this case, abundant watering is recommended in summer, without leaving stagnant water in place.
6. Daisy flower Thymophylla Tenuiloba
It is the yellow daisy that we know so well, a beautiful flower and simple care. In fact, It must be one of the best species to start in the world of daisy gardening.
- The best location for this plant is in full sun.
- Irrigation should be sufficient to keep the soil moist, without excess.
- If necessary, it is possible to use natural fertilizer, always in small doses.
7. Margarita Chrysanthemum furtescens
To keep these flowers in perfect condition it is important to give it a good watering and fertilize it periodically.
Better known as shrub daisy, it is a plant that requires more care than many of the aforementioned because it grows a little more uncontrolled, thus being necessary regular pruning.
- It is advised to plant it in full sun.
- Watering must be abundant, without waterlogging.
- You need periodic subscription (although not in summer) to develop in a healthy way.
- To prevent the plant from wilting, you should perform regular pruning.
Discover: «Summer flowers: 6 options for your garden»
8. Margarita Bellis perennis
This kind of daisy is delicate and her care differs a little from her sisters. This is the variety that we usually find in the meadows, in a natural and wild way.
- These flowers prefer semi-shade.
- Irrigation should be abundant, especially in the hot months. In the fall and winter, watering should be done spacedly.
- It is important to take care of the wind plant, as it can seriously damage it.
These are just some of the types of daisies that you can find in the market to decorate your home. Go ahead and plant daisies and enjoy these beautiful flowers. Remember to take into account our advice to achieve extensive and abundant blooms.