7 tips to cope with bronchitis
Bronchitis is a respiratory disease that occurs when the bronchi become inflamed. These are tubes responsible for transporting air from the nose and mouth to the lungs. Because, product of this disease, there are difficulties in breathing, coughing and congestion. Do you want to learn to cope with bronchitis?
In most cases it is possible to treat this disease with some care at home. While the doctor may prescribe some medications, First, it suggests some strategies to improve it naturally. Only the most severe cases require antibiotics, bronchodilators or pulmonary rehabilitation therapies.
Tips for coping with bronchitis naturally
Many of their symptoms begin to improve significantly after two weeks. However, if the disease is chronic, it is best to consult the doctor to determine the best treatment.
In any case, making some adjustments in lifestyle can help to increase the feeling of relief. These treatments minimize the severity of symptoms and accelerate the recovery process. Discover them!
1. Increase the consumption of healthy liquids
One of the keys to coping with bronchitis and reducing congestion is guarantee the adequate consumption of water and healthy liquids. This type of drinks helps to dilute the mucus, facilitating its expulsion when coughing or blowing it through the nose. In addition, they avoid dehydration of the organism.
What liquids can you consume?
- Warm water with lemon
- Herbal or fruit infusions
- Natural water
- Natural juices
- Chicken or vegetable broth
2. Install a humidifier
The humidifier is an excellent tool in case of suffering from bronchitis or any lung disease. By breathing the hot, humid air that this element generates, mucus in the airways becomes loose and cough decreases. Of course, it is essential to keep it clean to guarantee these benefits.
3. Avoid tobacco
One of the worst enemies of respiratory health is smoking. Because, One of the keys to coping with bronchitis is to avoid smoking to the maximum. Its toxins easily cross the respiratory tract, producing irritation in the bronchi and lung damage.
- If you are a smoker, seek help to stop smoking.
- Remember that breathing cigarette smoke is also harmful. If you do not smoke, avoid being around those who do.
4. Do physical exercise
Although high physical impact activity is discouraged for patients with bronchitis, A low impact routine can be very beneficial. Regular exercise strengthens the muscles that help to breathe, which reduces the complications of the symptoms of this disease.
- Sedentary people should start doing it slowly and gradually, with a short duration and intensity. To be possible, The ideal is to design a plan with the help of a professional.
5. Use steam therapies
Steam therapies are very useful when coping with bronchitis. These help to break mucus to facilitate its expulsion. On the other hand, they relax the muscles that can suffer tensions due to coughing. In addition, they reduce congestion and help you breathe better.
- To do this type of therapies you simply have to heat water to boiling point. Then, you can add a little essential oil of eucalyptus or thyme.
- Afterwards, inhale the steam, covering the head with a towel to make the most of it.
- You do the treatment for 3 or 5 minutes and you rest.
6. Sleep well
Respiratory difficulties and cough that occurs due to bronchitis can make sleep difficult. But nevertheless, it is essential to try to have a good quality of sleep to improve immune functions and speed up the recovery process. What can you do?
- Ensures a comfortable sleeping environment.
- Avoid using distracting elements, such as computers or mobile phones.
- Consume relaxing infusions, such as chamomile, valerian or lavender.
- Practice a relaxation technique shortly before sleep.
7. Maintain a healthy diet
The consumption of healthy foods it can contribute to increase the sensation of relief before any respiratory problem. The adequate absorption of vitamins and minerals helps to maintain an optimal response by the immune system, accelerating the recovery of bronchitis and other infections.
Make sure you consume:
- Citric fruits
- Green leafy vegetables
- Whole grains
- Nuts and seeds
- Fatty fish
- Lean meats
- Herbs and spices
Are you trying to cope with bronchitis and its uncomfortable symptoms? Keep these recommendations in mind. If you do not notice an improvement in a couple of weeks, see the doctor.