5 tricks to clean bathroom curtains and keep them mold-free
Although some accessories are considered a simple decoration, they are actually a great source of contamination if they are not properly sanitized. In this article we will share some tricks to clean the bathroom curtains and thus prevent the proliferation of fungi and bacteria.
The bathroom is the preferred site for the growth of microorganisms that can be harmful to health, thanks to the humidity and heat that is generated in this place. In this sense, the curtain is one of the elements that get dirty more easily, but to which in general we do not pay attention.
Tricks for cleaning bathroom curtains
The best thing about these options is that you sure don't have to go out to buy anything, because in most of them we will use ingredients that many of us have at home.
Alcohol is a disinfectant par excellence and it is an element that is not lacking in any home. To use it in the curtain we will moisten a sponge or cloth and we are going to rub it on the curtain with circular movements.
We will put emphasis on the areas most stained with mold. We do not need to rinse because the alcohol will evaporate on its own.
Vinegar can be a natural cleanser thanks to the percentage of acetic acid it contains in its formula. Although it will not disinfect, it will remove dirt and grease that collects, product of the curtain's contact with soaps, shampoos and conditioners.
We are going to place in a large container, which allows us to submerge the curtains, ¾ of water and 2 cups of apple cider vinegar. We put the curtains there and let it act for 20 minutes. Then we rinse and that's it; the curtains will have been like new.
You may be interested: Is vinegar useful as a household disinfectant?
You are about to know another use of toothpaste that will surprise you. To clean your shower curtains dampen a sponge and then apply a generous amount of toothpaste to it.
Run it over the stains. Finally, rinse and your curtains will be cleaner than ever.
4. Baking soda
In this case immerse the curtains in a bowl of water and baking soda and let it act for a few minutes. Otherwise, you can put the curtains in the washing machine and add baking soda.
5. Tea tree oil based solution
To prepare this cleaning solution we will need 1 cup of water, ¼ cup of alcohol, 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil and 1 container with a spray bottle. We put everything in the jar and spray on the curtain. We rub with a sponge and rinse.
Step by step to clean the bathroom curtains
If you prefer to wash your bathroom curtains by hand, then we recommend that you follow this step by step to further optimize the process:
- Remove the rings and rings to avoid damaging the fabric of the curtains.
- Immerse the curtain in a large container with water and liquid soap. You can replace the soap with coarse salt.
- Let it soak for at least 2 hours.
- With a brush, remove the most stubborn mold stains. If you notice they don't come out, try adding a little baking soda to the sponge.
- Rinse to remove all the soap. If you wish, you can add a little vinegar to the last rinse to eliminate odors.
- Let dry in a place that receives good ventilation.
In the event that you choose to place the bathroom curtains in the washing machine, you can follow these tips:
- Make sure the curtains are machine washable. Make sure the temperature is not higher than 30 degrees Celsius.
- Add baking soda, in addition to the usual soap.
- Do not forget to put some clean towels along with the curtains to protect them and cancel the spin.
You may be interested: How to remove mold from the washing machine in a natural way?
Tips for keeping your bathroom curtains clean
Once your curtains look clean and mold-free, we suggest you take some steps to keep them spotless for longer:
- Rinse it after every bath: So that the soap residues do not get impregnated, pour clean water on them at the end of the shower. Also, stretch it well so it doesn't look like an accordion.
- Ventilate the bathroom when you finish bathing: open all windows and promote good air circulation.
- Wash them often: so stains are easier to remove.
Other ways to wash the shower curtain
So far we have reviewed general ways to wash bathroom curtains. However, we want to add the option to wash them with other more specific ways, especially for particular stains:
- Remove mold: If the curtain is clean, but has mold stains that you cannot remove, try rubbing them with a lemon cut in the middle. On the other hand, dilute 3 parts of water with 1 tablespoon of baking soda and spray on the stain. Then you scrub with a brush.
- Whiten the curtains: immerse in water with a special solution for shower curtains. If they are white you can add a little bleach.
Final tips for cleaning bathroom curtains
So that cleaning your shower curtains does not require so much time or work, the ideal is to keep them clean. If you rinse them daily, when the time comes for a deep cleaning you should only put them in the washing machine without previous treatments.
Remember test the products in a non-visible part of the curtain to make sure it is not damaged. Finally, read the labels so that you do not subject them to care routines that could damage it.
We hope you can follow some of these tips and that your curtains are like new and free of mold, bacteria and fungi.
Continued use of cleaning chemicals can be harmful. We share some tricks to clean your bathroom naturally. Read more "