4 easy and delicious canon recipes
Related to valerian and originating in Europe, they are consumed as part of endless salads or accompanying all kinds of dishes. However, they combine well with various ingredients, so it is possible to try other recipes with lamb's lettuce.
Its delicate flavor, similar to nuts, and its slightly crunchy texture, will end up making them one of the new favorite representatives when cooking vegetables.
Recipes with lamb's lettuce: a healthy and delicious plant
The lamb's lettuce attract attention in the kitchen with its characteristic shape and flavor. Consumption has increased a lot in recent years, thanks to greater accessibility when buying and preparing them. They are an excellent way to increase the presence of vegetables in the diet.
Like all vegetables, they are largely made up of water and are very light. They provide a good percentage of fiber and are a source of micronutrients that the body needs every day and that provide some health benefits:
- They are a source of vitamins C and E.
- They have beta carotenes precursors of the Vitamin A. It plays a prominent role in the immune system, vision, and reproduction.
- They have folic acid, one of the B vitamins. The body needs it to make DNA and other genetic material.
- In 100 grams of lamb's lettuce are 2 milligrams of iron. This is key for the transport of oxygen to the cells and their intake prevents anemia.
- It is also a source of potassium, necessary for nerve transmission and muscle contraction. Increasing your intake and decreasing your sodium intake can help control high blood pressure.
Find out: Low folic acid: why does it happen and what are its consequences?
Option 1: lamb's lettuce and asparagus salad
With the four recipes with lamb's lettuce that are presented in the following article, they can be prepared in different ways to enjoy them at any time of the day. Let's go to the first one.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 200 grams of lamb's lettuce.
- 8 radishes.
- 16 asparagus tips.
- 25 grams of fried corn.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
How to prepare the salad
- First, wash and dry the lamb's lettuce well. Place them in a salad bowl.
- Following, wash and cut the radishes into very thin slices. Add to the source with the lamb's lettuce. Top with the well drained asparagus tips.
- At the last moment prepare the dressing. For it, crush the corn in a mortar and sprinkle on top of the salad.
- Season with salt, olive oil and vinegar to taste.
Option 2: egg white omelette with turkey ham and lamb's lettuce
This recipe is designed for a breakfast other than the one we usually eat on a regular basis. Although it is also perfect for a starter or a light dinner.
Ingredients to make it
- 140 grams of egg white.
- 1 pinch of garlic powder.
- 4 stalks of chives.
- 1 teaspoon of spices to taste: paprika, ginger, cumin, onion, parsley.
- 2 slices of braised turkey breast or ham.
- 1 handful of lamb's lettuce.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
Step by Step
- To start preparing this recipe with lamb's lettuce, put a non-stick frying pan on the fire. Add olive oil and pour the whites slightly beaten. It does not need to be very hot, since in this way they cook unanimously and it does not remain raw on top.
- Leave over medium heat and, while it begins to set, season with the spices. Then wash and cut the chives very finely and also add on top of the tortilla.
- At this time, cover the pan a little to promote homogeneous cooking. After about 2 minutes it is ready, although it depends on the pan and the intensity of the fire.
- When the whites are set, remove from the heat and place on a plate. Incorporate the ham and lamb's lettuce in one half and fold. Another option is to roll up the tortilla and present it as a burrito.
Read more: Learn about the importance of protein at breakfast
Option 3: lamb's lettuce, strawberry and cheese salad
When the first strawberries are on the market, it is time to add them to recipes. This colorful and tasty salad is an interesting option.
Ingredients to make 4 servings
- 150 grams of lamb's lettuce.
- 12 medium strawberries.
- 100 grams of Manchego cheese.
- 1 handful of pistachios without salt.
- 2 tablespoons of dried coconut in sheets.
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds.
- 1 pinch of salt.
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar of Modena (optional).
Steps to follow to prepare it
- Before starting to assemble the dish, prepare all the ingredients. Wash and drain the lamb's lettuce well so that they are smooth and fresh. Also clean the strawberries with water, dry and then remove the peduncle. Cut into 4 pieces.
- Peel the pistachios if they have been bought with the shell. If possible, remove some of the thin skin from the inside. To make it easier, they can be cut in half.
- Then, prepare the salad sauce. To do this, mix the olive oil, salt and vinegar in a small bowl.
- At the time of serving it can be made in a bowl or in individual plates. Arrange the lamb's lettuce on the base and place the strawberries on top. Spread the cheese and pistachios together with the coconut flakes and sesame seeds. Dress immediately with the vinaigrette.
Instead of using desiccated coconut, it is also possible to add it fresh. In this case, cut the thin slices with the help of a fruit peeler.
If Manchego cheese is not available, it is possible to use other varieties, such as cured goat cheese or feta cheese.
Option 4 and last of the recipes with canons: avocado cream
Beyond salads, lamb's lettuce can be introduced into the daily diet mixed in a plate of assorted vegetables or a hot cream. In this case, a variant of avocado-based green gazpacho.
- 3 avocados
- 1/2 zucchini and 1/2 cucumber.
- 2 handfuls of lamb's lettuce.
- 1 clove garlic.
- 30 grams of bread crumbs.
- 1 spring onion.
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1 splash of liquid cream.
- Lemon juice.
- Balsamic vinegar.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
Step by step to make 4 servings of cream
- Put the avocados, zucchini, cucumber, onion and garlic clove in a large bowl (to be able to blend well with the blender). Before this, wash and cut the vegetables into small pieces.
- Then add the breadcrumbs soaked in water, the lamb's lettuce, the cream, the vinegar, the oil, the salt and the pepper to taste.
- Start grinding and gradually add enough water to obtain the desired texture. Correct the salt and reserve in the fridge until serving time.
- The avocado cream can be decorated on top with pieces of toast, crackers, some grated hard-boiled egg, or chopped chives.
Final considerations to put into practice the recipes with canons
The tastiest lamb's lettuce are usually the small ones. In salads they can be mixed with other types of green leaves, such as spinach baby, arugula or mixed lettuce or endive.
Variants can be prepared from the canon recipes presented in this article. Its delicate flavor is well understood with mushrooms, green beans, zucchini, beets, potatoes, walnuts, apples, grapes or salmon.
Leaves keep well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Much better to keep them in a plastic bag slightly perforated or covered with kitchen paper. In this way, it does not absorb the odors of the rest of the food.
Before cooking, wash well under running cold water. It is preferable not to soak, as it is a bit delicate. In the same way, it is advisable to season at the last minute to prevent the leaves from losing their freshness.
When it comes to the main course, there doesn't seem to be much of a hassle in choosing which salad is the best side dish. Find out if it really is. Read more "