Many times we do not know all the benefits of the resources that nature provides. For example, the amount of plants and herbs that exist on the planet is incredible, as well as how many can help us improve various aspects of our health. This is the case of chia.
You have surely heard its name, since with the passage of time, chia seeds have taken an important place in the lives of many people. But do you know why? This is due to its high nutritional value, added to the fact that its properties have the ability to repair, to a large extent, health.
This reason has led to chia seeds being used in desserts, meals, infusions, teas and even to make medicines with natural bases, to treat various conditions.
Join us and discover 10 benefits that chia seeds have for health.
What is Chia?
Its scientific name is Sage, but it is commonly known as chia. It is a herbaceous plant, whose origin lies in central America, between Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Its cultivation is, mainly, carried out in order to take advantage of its seeds, which have a huge number of positive properties for health.
Let's talk about the Plant
Chia can reach up to 1 meter in height, has small leaves that do not exceed 8 cm in length and 5 cm in width, which is why it is classified as a herbaceous plant. Its flowers grow in terminal clusters composed of colors between purple and white.
When summer is about to end, instead of flowers, achene-type fruits take place. These fruits have a single seed, which is not attached to its shell (like sunflower fruits).
Well, as we will see later, It is in those seeds where the best of chia is locatedas they are rich in carbohydrates, minerals, fatty acids, fiber and much more.
Chia Seeds Properties
As mentioned above, chia seeds have a high nutritional value. Thanks to they have onequite complete composition of those organic compounds necessary for the proper functioning of the human body.
Thus, the consumption of chia seeds helps to optimize metabolism, has therapeutic effects in pathologies, controls blood glucose, helps to lose weight, prevents cancer, among many other things.
The composition of chia seeds is given by the following elements:
– Essential unsaturated fatty acids, where we can highlight, among others, 60% omega 3 and 20% omega 6
– Antioxidants such as caffeic, chlorogenic and cinnamic acid
– Dietary fiber
– Essential amino acids, as well as glutamic, arginine, leucine, serine, among others
– Vitamins A, B and C
– Mineral salts, especially calcium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, magnesium and copper
One of the advantages of these seeds is that they have a small size and a pleasant taste. What allows its consumption in a direct way. For this reason, they can be added to food, smoothies, desserts and more, without worrying that they will alter their texture or flavor.
Proper way to consume Chia Seeds
Now that you know the incredible amount of properties that chia seeds have, surely you want to start integrating it into your diet. Keep in mind that they can be consumed, in general, in these two ways:
1. Pouring 1 to 3 tablespoons into a glass with water or fruit juice, mix and let stand for 15 minutes until a gel type forms. This gel can then be added to food.
2. On the other hand, it is possible to use them as a complementary ingredient in salads, smoothies, yogurts, bread, cookies, juices, etc. In this case, the recommended serving is 10 to 20 grams, although it also depends on the recipe you are following.
Health benefits of these seeds
All the benefits that come hand in hand with the consumption of chia seeds are due to the fact that they have very particular characteristics. And is that in a handful of these wonderful seeds it is possible to achieve a mixture of many properties.
What I'm talking about? Well, mind you, they have: 5 times more calcium than whole milk, 3 times more antioxidants than blueberries, twice the fiber than oats, three times the iron than spinach, more protein than any vegetable and more potassium than the banana.
Top 10 benefits
1. Due to their content in omega 3 and fatty acids, they have anti-inflammatory, vasodilator and antithrombotic properties, and they also lower cholesterol. Therefore, it effectively takes care of cardiovascular health.
2. The fiber provided, stimulates the intestinal movement, preventing constipation. In addition, its viscosity hydrates and lubricates the gastrointestinal tract for proper movement of stool.
3. It helps to level blood glucose levels, thereby reducing the risk of developing diabetes.
Four. It has anti-inflammatory properties. That is, it minimizes pain in joints, muscles, ligaments, etc.
5. The high level of protein and amino acids helps to regenerate tissue and increase muscle mass.
6. These seeds are a source of energy that gives vitality to your body. So it is ideal to consume them in the morning to carry out all the activities of the day in a calm way, without exhausting yourself.
7. They are hypocaloric, that is, they capture a large amount of liquids, which are then released naturally and easily. So it allows you to lose weight.
8. They prevent premature aging and cell deterioration, thanks to its antioxidant properties.
9. By ingesting them, you keep your body hydrated.
10. Provides a feeling of fullness. Which is why you won't have cravings that can interfere with the daily functioning of your metabolism.
Although only 10 are mentioned here, the amount of benefits that chia seeds provide are many more. In conclusion, consuming them will improve your physical and emotional health, on a large scale, without causing any type of contraindications.
Start taking care of yourself by eating chia seeds.